The main project I embarked on last year during the lockdown was this 3D food truck scene that's based on a concept art by Olga Permiakova. While I have attempted handpainted models before, this is the first time I am trying out on a scene of such a scale. Initially I wanted to use this opportunity to try out modeling and texturing in Blender, but I decided to go back to 3DS Max as there were too much new information to absorb. I will make it an effort to use Blender next time!
Some additional renders of the scene
I was still working my way through the ZBrush course but my Schoolism subscription ended prematurely. Alas, here are my final 2 assignment submissions.
I wanted to attempt a more stylized design. I also wanted to try more hard surface sculpting. I am quite happy with the end product although it is a little off model to my concept art, especially the weapon.
The focus on this one is more on surface textures like cracks, skin textures, etc. I think I could have done more with the polypainting but that is not an area I am particularly interested in focusing on right now.
In this exercise, I tried to use the Transpose tool for the first time. It was surprisingly intuitive and easy to pick up!
It's been awhile but I have been working on the Schoolism assignment. As it turns out, I kinda misinterpreted the previous assignment and went off course. Regardless, I will be taking whatever I learned from the lesson and using that knowledge to apply to whatever I intend to do moving forward. Here's my second "assignment" where I include Substance Painter into the workflow.
I have been meaning to improve my ZBrush skills in preparation of possibly teaching the subject next year. If you follow my art, you will know that I dabble my feet into 3D once in a while. During my days in DigiPen, we were taught 3DS Max and ZBrush. I really want to improve my digital sculpting skills and eventually move on to high level texturing via Substance Painter.
Last month, I enrolled myself into the Justin Goby Fields' Schoolism Introduction to ZBrush course. However, due to the ongoing Inktober event, I didn't really have time to invest all my time into the assignments. In this post I will share with you what I've done for the first assignment.
The assignment is to sculpt 5 busts. I tried to be a little ambitious and added colors and lighting to better present the final image. I also purposefully selected subjects that were different from one another. Some of them turned out pretty bad while others were fine. Stay tuned for more diary entries of my assignment progress.
"Fire Boi" started as a recap exercise for myself before I started training the kids for WorldSkills. However due to other work matters, external projects, other personal art projects and of course my personal life, I was only able to work on this intermittently. Well, I'm glad to finally call this done for now (don't intend to rig this unfortunately).
Moving forward, I will be focusing more on polishing up on my ZBrush skills and learning more about Substance Painter in preparation of the next WorldSkills. Thus there will be less "big-scaled" 3D projects like this one and more small practice assignments.
The concept art of this model is from Tooth Wu. Do check out the rest of his amazing artwork.
It's been a while, but here's a new tutorial on texturing a realistic human head.
It's the start of the school holidays, so I have a little bit more time on my hands. Tell me if there's a particular topic you want me to cover.
I have left my job at The Good Mood Creators at the start of 2017 and have been working on bolstering my 3D portfolio. I'm focusing on generating more realistic assets.
Here's a 3D character game model that I've been working on this past week. The character is based on a concept art by Aleksey Bayura. It was sculpted in ZBrush, retopologized in Topogun, textured in ZBrush and Photoshop and rendered with Marmoset Toolbag 3.