I was still working my way through the ZBrush course but my Schoolism subscription ended prematurely. Alas, here are my final 2 assignment submissions.
I wanted to attempt a more stylized design. I also wanted to try more hard surface sculpting. I am quite happy with the end product although it is a little off model to my concept art, especially the weapon.
The focus on this one is more on surface textures like cracks, skin textures, etc. I think I could have done more with the polypainting but that is not an area I am particularly interested in focusing on right now.
In this exercise, I tried to use the Transpose tool for the first time. It was surprisingly intuitive and easy to pick up!
It's been awhile but I have been working on the Schoolism assignment. As it turns out, I kinda misinterpreted the previous assignment and went off course. Regardless, I will be taking whatever I learned from the lesson and using that knowledge to apply to whatever I intend to do moving forward. Here's my second "assignment" where I include Substance Painter into the workflow.
I have been meaning to improve my ZBrush skills in preparation of possibly teaching the subject next year. If you follow my art, you will know that I dabble my feet into 3D once in a while. During my days in DigiPen, we were taught 3DS Max and ZBrush. I really want to improve my digital sculpting skills and eventually move on to high level texturing via Substance Painter.
Last month, I enrolled myself into the Justin Goby Fields' Schoolism Introduction to ZBrush course. However, due to the ongoing Inktober event, I didn't really have time to invest all my time into the assignments. In this post I will share with you what I've done for the first assignment.
The assignment is to sculpt 5 busts. I tried to be a little ambitious and added colors and lighting to better present the final image. I also purposefully selected subjects that were different from one another. Some of them turned out pretty bad while others were fine. Stay tuned for more diary entries of my assignment progress.
Did a painting of Gordon Ramsay for the Schoolism class I'm taking. Happy year of the Chicken! Original sketches of Ramsay and other citizens below:
Week 5's assignment was to do a colored painting of Anne Hathaway. I posted the initial sketch I did on the Level Up! Facebook group, my Facebook page and my Instagram. The 2nd sketch won by a huge margin so I decided to bring that to a final render.
For this assignment, we were taught to use a technique where you create another Photoshop document that acts as a palette for color mixing. We were also instructed to use a limited color scheme. I chose the Split Complementary combination of Green, Orange and Purple for this piece. I think the technique is pretty effective in achieving nice skin tones.
After completing Dice Tsutsumi and Robert Kondo's light and color Schoolism course (in which I learned a lot), I decided to move on to the Caricature class offered by Jason Seiler. I like creating images that tell a humorous story, so I think learning to capture and exaggerate a person's face is the logical step forward in my art education.
For week 1 and week 2's assignments, we were required to do sketches of the "citizens" based on the photos Seiler provided. I felt that the drawings I did in week 1 were too "tame" and tried to push for more exaggeration in week 2.
Week 3's assignment was doing a grayscale paintover of a sketch that Seiler did. It was alot of fun and I really like the end result. This proves that the sketch is always the most important component of any artwork.
Week 4's assignment is similar to week 3's in the sense that we are supposed to produce a well rendered caricature. The twist is that we are supposed to do the initial sketch ourselves and the final product can be a sepia painting.
We were given 3 photos of Johnny Cash to sketch. I think my 2nd sketch had some potential to be pushed further, but I personally don't think the source photo resembled my impression of Mr. Cash. I decided to go with number 3 in the end.