Before I left my previous job, I refreshed parts of the syllabus and updated some of the tutorials. In doing so, I created some new artwork to supplement the content.
I also designed some characters to introduce my students to alternative methods of rendering their character designs.
Here are some notes and drawings I made to supplement my drawing lessons during my previous job. Due to home-based learning because of COVID-19, I relied on digital tools to teach traditional drawing.
This post is long overdued.
I first posted this series of artwork created to coincide with the Lunar New Year (which took place early February this year) on my Instagram page but I didn't find the time to do a proper post here on the blog. So here it is, in its full glory:
Like many artists, I was super inspired after watching Spiderverse late last year. I really love the art direction of the movie and the way each shot is composed and set. While not a huge fan of chromatic aberration in general (the effect was used awfully in Netflix's Sabrina in my opinion), I appreciated the application in Spiderverse. The effect seemed appropriate for the frame-by-frame visual eye-candy overdose that the filmmakers were going for.
In creating the above fanart, I set to emulate the film's art style. Coincidentally, it aligned with the style I am currently exploring in my art as well (using blocks of solid hues with little to no blending). In preparation for the above piece, I also did simple sketches and paintings. I have never painted black people before and I took this opportunity to learn more about achieving that particular skin tone.
When it comes to digital painting, I primarily use 2 different techniques. In the above sketch, I started with a line drawing before filling in the tonal values. Watch the YouTube video below to see how I do it.
Week 5 of Dice Tsutsumi and Robert Kondo's Schoolism course required us to do still life studies in 2 different lighting setups - diffused and direct lighting. I was reintroduced to more props for this particular study as I just moved back to Singapore so this exercise was pretty enjoyable.
Due to the scarcity of props in my Seattle apartment, I actually finished the Week 6 assignment first. For this particular assignment, we were required to create imaginary lighting setups to a scene.