This post is long overdued.
I first posted this series of artwork created to coincide with the Lunar New Year (which took place early February this year) on my Instagram page but I didn't find the time to do a proper post here on the blog. So here it is, in its full glory:
Like many artists, I was super inspired after watching Spiderverse late last year. I really love the art direction of the movie and the way each shot is composed and set. While not a huge fan of chromatic aberration in general (the effect was used awfully in Netflix's Sabrina in my opinion), I appreciated the application in Spiderverse. The effect seemed appropriate for the frame-by-frame visual eye-candy overdose that the filmmakers were going for.
In creating the above fanart, I set to emulate the film's art style. Coincidentally, it aligned with the style I am currently exploring in my art as well (using blocks of solid hues with little to no blending). In preparation for the above piece, I also did simple sketches and paintings. I have never painted black people before and I took this opportunity to learn more about achieving that particular skin tone.
In this exercise, I tried to use the Transpose tool for the first time. It was surprisingly intuitive and easy to pick up!
It's been awhile but I have been working on the Schoolism assignment. As it turns out, I kinda misinterpreted the previous assignment and went off course. Regardless, I will be taking whatever I learned from the lesson and using that knowledge to apply to whatever I intend to do moving forward. Here's my second "assignment" where I include Substance Painter into the workflow.
Dug out an old lineart drawing I did for an assignment during my DigiPen days and decided to colour it. For the colouring process, I tried for a different style by following a Gumroad tutorial. The experience was definitely unique and I'm quite happy with the results I got considering that I painted this while I was feeling really ill.
Created a tribute piece for Stan Lee. I emphasized on the lineart to mimic the comic book illustration style.
Some progress / close-up shots:
Last year I continued to collaborate with WhaleRabbit for the second toy in the Dualle link, Miktus. As usual my task was to create the artwork that will be printed on the box sleeves and the art prints inside. The concept for this location is the "Mischievous Forest". How do I portray that whimsical feeling on an environment like a forest?
I recalled the forest designs that I did for Mekazoo and drew immense inspiration of the color and other features from my own artwork. The toy designer wanted a tree with a white trunk to be the focal point of the piece, which made the task even more challenging in terms of painting in the sense of depth.
Here are the sleeves that were designed for this project:
Here are the thumbnails for the environment design:
I have been meaning to improve my ZBrush skills in preparation of possibly teaching the subject next year. If you follow my art, you will know that I dabble my feet into 3D once in a while. During my days in DigiPen, we were taught 3DS Max and ZBrush. I really want to improve my digital sculpting skills and eventually move on to high level texturing via Substance Painter.
Last month, I enrolled myself into the Justin Goby Fields' Schoolism Introduction to ZBrush course. However, due to the ongoing Inktober event, I didn't really have time to invest all my time into the assignments. In this post I will share with you what I've done for the first assignment.
The assignment is to sculpt 5 busts. I tried to be a little ambitious and added colors and lighting to better present the final image. I also purposefully selected subjects that were different from one another. Some of them turned out pretty bad while others were fine. Stay tuned for more diary entries of my assignment progress.
Through my experience working on Mekazoo, I learned that level paintovers are an excellent way of communicating my ideas as an art director to the rest of the team. In the following Breakfast Art video, I go into detail of my process.
I'm actually going to build a game level based on this paintover using Construct 2, so stay tuned!